Have you carried out your Fire Prevention Obligations?

Accidental house fires increased by more than eight per cent in  Northern Ireland last year , with cooking appliances, electrical equipment and smoking linked to multiple blaze. But there are also a number of everyday household items that you wouldn’t think are flammable.


Did you know that one of the UK’s favourite fruits can start a fire? Oranges are chock full of a naturally occurring (and extremely flammable) chemical called limonene that makes dried orange peels fragrant and effective fire starters for campfires and fireplaces.

Nail polish and nail polish remover.

Because of the acetone that is contained in this liquid, this is considered one of the most common flammable household liquids. The vapors it produces are also flammable as they are able to travel through the air, igniting any nearby flames. If you are using a candle, make sure to blow it out and keep it at a safe distance before you apply or remove any nail polish.

Aerosol cans:

The average household may contain numerous aerosol cans, including cooking oils, cleansers, hairspray, deodorants, body sprays, fragrances, bug repellents and sunscreens. Aerosols work because the contents are under pressure, which means that they can explode when exposed to high levels of heat. And in many cases, the contents of the can also contain flammable chemicals, making these seemingly innocent containers a double-whammy of potential safety problems. The amount of household products that are contained in aerosol cans can seem overwhelming when looking at the entire list. But it is just important to keep in mind to spray away from any open flame or fireplace. You will also want to keep them away from any heat-related appliances, such as air vents, furnaces, space heaters, and more.

Gasoline, turpentine, and paint thinner:

Known for causing about 8,000 fires annually, gasoline is one of the most flammable substances within a residential property. Because it is often improperly stored in a garage or shed, the metal lid can generate a spark if it comes into contact with anything else, causing severe fire damage. Just be sure to store it in an UL-approved container that is away from all heat-related appliances, such as a hot water heater or furnace.

Hand sanitizer:

Almost all hand sanitizers, whether in gel or liquid form, are alcohol-based. Because alcohol is highly flammable, it’s no surprise that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are flammable as well. Due to the alcohol, common sanitizers can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns if they are around an open flame. Make sure to keep them away from any lighters and do not carry them in your purse if you smoke.

Linseed oil: 

You’ve probably used linseed oil during a home DIY project this summer, perhaps to stain your deck, patio furniture or fence. It’s a natural substance extracted from flaxseed It can be extremely dangerous .Instead of evaporating vapors into the air, certain liquids used in staining or finishing work, such as linseed oil, dry up on exposure to air, according to the bend. That drying process, called oxidation, generates heat that can cause cleaning rags soaked in linseed oil to spontaneously ignite

To many homes these items are essential  and at first might not seem like something you would have to worry about causing a fire but under certain circumstances it can cause serious issues for you and your family. It is best to also check the labels on the items you are bringing into your home and keep flammable materials away from candles, cookers or any type of open flames and you should always have an evacuation plan in place in case in the event of an emergency in your home you can get out safely.